The Many Shades of Lilac

The pale beauty Blanche Sweet lilac named after the silent film star.
Since Thomas Jefferson planted his lilacs in 1776 this flowering bush has captivated American gardeners. The delicious scent always reminds me of warm spring mornings from my childhood. My sister and I would have to walk through a hedge of lilacs on our way to class. When the time came to install my own garden they were the only large bushes that I used in my garden. After all, how can you have a country garden without them?
There is nothing like a wall of fragrant lilacs.
"When, on a summer evening, the melodious sky growls like a tawny lion, and everyone is complaining of the storm, it is the memory of the Méséglise way that makes me stand alone in ecstasy, inhaling, through the noise of the falling rain, the lingering scent of invisible lilacs." Marcel Proust
An array of shades of lilacs from pale to dark. 
The array of colors is fascinating, from white through dark purple they provide a medley of tones in the garden. These photos were taken at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden where they have a veritable forest of lilacs. It was so inspiring to see them planted with paths and grassy areas in the center of the various groves.  I am already planning to do a forest of these spring beauties in my next garden.

"Louvois" or common lilac.



You may also like:
© The Devine Life . Design by MangoBlogs.