The Roses of Summer

Last summers roses were spectacular. I had never grown them before, but I marched right ahead and planted eight roses to cover the fence and the back of the building. I learned quickly that they are easy to grow. Just water, fertilizer and a little trim ever now and then, that’s about it.  
What pleasure they gave us throughout the summer. The six Pierre de Ronsard along the fence and the two Zepherin Drouhin running up the back wall were stunning, and the fragrance - so lush. 
This year another eight are being added. I found this great heritage rose company in California called Vintage Gardens. They have or can get just about every rose under the sun. The site is really informative and the customer service is wonderful. The first of the roses arrived yesterday, packed really impressively and with clear planting instructions. 
I can’t wait for the first batch of rose jam and all the other good things I plan on making this summer. 


My Pierre de Ronsard

The Pierre de Ronsards in their glory.

Mme Caroline Testout will be climbing up both corners of the bagatelle. 

Reine des Violettes will go on the arbor.

You may also like:
Unknown said...

It's great to see roses,as timeless, now become timely, and renewed through much appreciation.

Love your snapshots, they look great, to bad we can't catch the scent online.

Bette

cotedetexas said...

Have you ever heard of the nursery in Texas - www.antiqueroseemporium.com

they have the most gorgeous roses. plus they find antique roses on the countryside that have been growing wild and name them and culitvate them - rose rustling - its called.

The Devine Life said...

I have heard of them, but this company had all the ones I wanted. Both are good companies.

vicki archer said...

Beautiful roses - I am a great lover of Pierre de Ronsard - I think they are probably my all time favourite, xv.

The Devine Life said...

They were mine last year too- Can't wait to see the new ones in person.

Summer is a Verb said...

So happy to have stumbled upon your blog! I was just admiring your "Orangerie" fabric in lettuce earlier this am in Traditional Home. Talk about the universe rising up to meet you!

Unknown said...

Great photos. I want to instinctively smell the roses they look so real and beautiful. I need to replant some that I have lost. Sounds like it might be Pierre de Ronsard. Thanks for the info.

red ticking said...

what a gorgeous post... i LOVE roses... and will look for a few of these...my all time favorite is gertrude jekyl the color and fragrance are amazing..

An Aesthete's Lament said...

You must get the rose 'Président de Sèze' ... I think Hortico still carries it ... a curiously appealing Gallica, odd but wonderful ... early 19th century ... 1830s, perhaps ... very Charles X ...

The Devine Life said...

So into Gallica roses. I am looking into this today. I have already added 7 roses this year to the 8 I already have- goingto need a bigger garden soon.

© The Devine Life . Design by MangoBlogs.