The house is a treasure trove of beautiful American and European antiques and miles of Zuber paper making it worth the visit alone.The garden was designed in the mid 19th century by Ledyard Licklan and updated in the early 20th century by noted American garden designer Ellen Biddle Shipman. Today it is attentively cared for and offers a glimpse into a way of life of an historic american family.
The peonies in the garden are based on the original Shipman plan.
The herbeacous border lines the allee leading to the grove of pine trees that were planted in 1856 by Ledyard Licklaen known as the "Dark Aisle." The border was restored with the dedication of a voluteer Janine Golub
Designed so that when the doors to the house are open, you can see from the back
of the garden through the hall onto Cazenovia Lake in the distance.
No matter how wet the garden is there is always a dry seat. When not in use, the back
of this bench flips down and covers the seat. Genius.
The original playhouse with its simple trellis.
A mass of white Dictamnus albus (Gas Plant) stands
out against the green background.
Originally beside the road this horse trough was moved to the back of the
garden by designer Shipman.